Communications and Content Strategist
The University of Pennsylvania, the largest private employer in Philadelphia, is a world-renowned leader in education, research, and innovation. This historic, Ivy League school consistently ranks among the top 10 universities in the annual US News & World Report survey. Penn has 12 highly-regarded schools that provide opportunities for undergraduate, graduate and continuing education, all influenced by Penn’s distinctive interdisciplinary approach to scholarship and learning. As an employer Penn has been ranked nationally on many occasions with the most recent award from Forbes who named Penn one of America’s Best Employers By State in 2021.
Penn offers a unique working environment within the city of Philadelphia. The University is situated on a beautiful urban campus, with easy access to a range of educational, cultural, and recreational activities. With its historical significance and landmarks, lively cultural offerings, and wide variety of atmospheres, Philadelphia is the perfect place to call home for work and play.
The University offers a competitive benefits package that includes excellent healthcare and tuition benefits for employees and their families, generous retirement benefits, a wide variety of professional development opportunities, supportive work and family benefits, a wealth of health and wellness programs and resources, and much more.
COVID-19 vaccination is a requirement for all positions at the University of Pennsylvania. New hires are expected to be fully vaccinated before beginning work at the University. For more information about Penn’s vaccine requirements and the use of Penn Open Pass, visit the https://coronavirus.upenn.edu/ for the latest information.
Posted Job Title
Communications and Content Strategist
Job Profile Title
Job Description Summary
Penn IUR’s Communications and Content Strategist oversees Penn IUR’s publications and communications activity. They are responsible for producing and disseminating Penn IUR’s publications including self-published reports, newsletters, and the monthly e-digest, Urban Link. They work with internal and external authors from many disciplines and sectors, predominantly Penn IUR’s co-directors, faculty fellows, and research staff, to produce written pieces that reach a wide variety of audiences including scholars, students, policy makers, practitioners, and the interested public. They serve as copy editor, development editor, and writer—writing original content ranging from articles and interviews to press releases and the Institute’s annual report. They strategize the most effective means of disseminating materials through Penn IUR’s various communication channels including website, digital publications, and social media accounts. The Communications and Content Strategist is part of a core team that ensures Penn IUR’s content meets the highest standards and is widely disseminated.
- Oversee the editing and production of Penn IUR’s communication materials such as the biannual newsletter (the document of record for the Institute including conducting interviews, writing original content, and editing), Urban Link, annual report, website text, and press releases.
- Edit and contribute to the writing of Penn IUR’s self-published reports (briefs, instructional case studies, and special reports).
- Collect and analyze metrics to assess efficacy of communication tools and strategies.
- Oversee Penn IUR’s social media accounts such as Twitter, LinkedIn, and Facebook; directing Penn IUR staff (program coordinator and/or student workers) on the regular maintenance of these accounts.
- Perform additional duties as needed in the areas of communications, writing, and publications.
Master’s degree required. A strong background in urban studies, public policy or writing, publishing, journalism (with broad knowledge of urban topics) or related fields at the masters level is required. Candidates should have 3 to 5 years of professional experience. Must be able to work independently, but collaboratively as part of a goal-oriented team. In addition to excellent written skills, candidates must have excellent oral and interpersonal communication skills and be able to work on multiple projects under deadline. Graphic communication skills preferred, including experience with Adobe Creative Suite. Experience working with academics, policy makers, and other senior level executives (private, public, and non-profit) is a plus.
This is a grant-supported position that may be extended in accordance with grant renewals and/or new grant awards.
A Cover Letter and Resume/CV are required to be considered for this position. Please upload your Cover Letter where it asks you to upload your Resume/CV; multiple documents are allowed.
Target Pay Range:
$78-82K commensurate with education and experience.
Job Location – City, State
Department / School
Provost Interdisciplinary Programs
$51,824.00 – $78,096.00
Affirmative Action Statement
Penn adheres to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.
Background check required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.
- Health, Life, and Flexible Spending Accounts: Penn offers comprehensive medical, prescription, behavioral health, dental, vision, and life insurance benefits to protect you and your family’s health and welfare. You can also use flexible spending accounts to pay for eligible health care and dependent care expenses with pre-tax dollars.
- tuition: Take advantage of Penn’s exceptional tuition benefits. You, your spouse, and your dependent children can get guardianship assistance here at Penn. Your dependent children are also eligible for tuition assistance at other institutions.
- Retirement: Penn offers generous retirement plans to help you save for your future. Penn’s Basic, Matching, and Supplemental retirement plans allow you to save for retirement on a pre-tax or Roth basis. Choose from a wide variety of investment options through TIAA and Vanguard.
- Time Away from Work: Penn provides you with a substantial amount of time away from work during the course of the year. This allows you to relax, take vacations, attend to personal affairs, recover from illness or injury, spend time with family—whatever your personal needs may be.
- Long Term Care Insurance: In partnership with Genworth Financial, Penn offers faculty and staff (and your eligible family members) long-term care insurance to help you cover some of the costs of long-term care services received at home, in the community or in a nursing facility. If you apply when you’re newly hired, you won’t have to provide proof of good health or be subject to underwriting requirements. Eligible family members must always provide proof of good health and are subject to underwriting.
- Wellness and Work-life Resources: Penn is committed to supporting our faculty and staff as they balance the competing demands of work and personal life. That’s why we offer a wide variety of programs and resources to help you care for your health, your family, and your work-life balance.
- Professional and Personal Development: Penn provides an array of resources to help you advance yourself personally and professionally.
- University Resources: As a member of the Penn community, you have access to a wide range of University resources as well as cultural and recreational activities. Take advantage of the University’s libraries and athletic facilities, or visit our arboretum and art galleries. There’s always something going on at Penn, whether it’s a new exhibit at the Penn Museum, the latest music or theater presentation at the Annenberg Center, or the Penn Relays at Franklin Field to name just a few examples. As a member of the Penn community, you’re right in the middle of the excitement—and you and your family can enjoy many of these activities for free.
- Discounts and Special Services: From arts and entertainment to transportation and mortgages, you’ll find great deals for University faculty and staff. Not only do Penn arts and cultural centers and museums offer free and discounted admission and memberships to faculty and staff. You can also enjoy substantial savings on other goods and services such as new cars from Ford and General Motors, cellular phone service plans, movie tickets, and admission to theme parks.
- Flexible Work Hours: Flexible work options offer creative approaches for completing work while promoting balance between work and personal commitments. These approaches involve use of non-traditional work hours, locations, and/or job structures.
- Penn Home Ownership Services: Penn offers a forgivable loan for eligible employees interested in buying a home or currently residing in West Philadelphia, which can be used for closing costs or home improvements.
- Adoption Assistance: Penn will reimburse eligible employees on qualified expenses in connection with the legal adoption of an eligible child, such as travel or court fees, for up to two adoptions in your household.
To learn more, please visit: https://www.hr.upenn.edu/PennHR/benefits-pay
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/3169905
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.