A variant cover for Harley Quinn’s upcoming 30th Anniversary special issue features a homage to the clown princess’ first comic book appearance ever.
Though Harley made her debut in the television episode “Joker’s Favor” from Batman: The Animated Seriesthe first comic to ever feature the character was a tie-in to the show, The Batman Adventures #12 by writer Kelly Puckett and artist Mike Parobeck. In the issue, Barbara Gordon / Batgirl goes up against Harley and Poison Ivy as the two villains attempt to kidnap her friend from her. Revealed by the September 2022 solicitations for DC, Stanley “Artgerm” Lau has created a variant for Harley Quinn 30th Anniversary Special #1 that homages how the two appear in the original issue, with Batgirl also included.
HARLEY QUINN 30TH ANNIVERSARY SPECIAL #1
- Written by AMANDA CONNER, JIMMY PALMIOTTI, PAUL DINI, STEPHANIE PHILLIPS, STJEPAN ŠEJIĆ, SAM HUMPHRIES, KAMI GARCIA, ROB WILLIAMS, MINDY LEE, TERRY DODSON, CECIL CASTELLUCCI, and RAFAEL SCAVONE
- Art by CHAD HARDIN, GUILLEM MARCH, RILEY ROSSMO, STJEPAN ŠEJIĆ, ERICA HENDERSON, JASON BADOWER, MICO SUAYAN, JOHN TIMMS, TERRY DODSON, RACHEL DODSON, DAN HIPP, and RAFAEL ALBUQUERQUE
- Cover by AMANDA CONNER
- Variant covers by J. SCOTT CAMPBELL, ADAM HUGHES, STANLEY “ARTGERM” LAU, LEE BERMEJO, JEROME OPEÑA, BRUCE TIMM, TERRY DODSON, and STJEPAN ŠEJIĆ
- 1:25 variant cover by AMANDA CONNER
- 1:50 foil variant cover by STANLEY “ARTGERM” LAU
- $9.99US | 96 pages | Prestige | one-shot
- ON SALE 9/13/22
- You are cordially invited to an oversize extravaganza celebrating the Clown Princess of Crime’s 30th birthday in this fantabulous special! That’s right—Harley Quinn turns 30 in absolute style and has invited a squad of her old creative pals to join her with a killer lineup of amazing stories! And the reviews are in—it’s guaranteed AWESOME:
- “Last chance, Quinn.
- Don’t make me do this.”
- —Amanda Waller
- “Wait…you’re not
- going back to…”
- —Red Tool
- —Poison Ivy
The Batman Adventures #12 actually released in 1993, but DC is celebrating Harley’s 30th Anniversary due to her television debut the year prior. The character was originally created by Paul Dini and Bruce Timm, but the upcoming oversized one-shot will bring back some of Harley’s fan-favorite writers and artists from over the years. Dini will be one of the returning creators, along with artists Terry Dodson and Rachel Dodson from the first ongoing harley quinn series, the New 52 creative team with writers Jimmy Palmiotti and Amanda Conner and artist Chad Hardin, current writer Stephanie Phillips and artist Riley Rossmo and more.
Back when Harley celebrated her 25th anniversary in comics, DC unveiled the first on-page kiss between Harley and Poison Ivy (though the original version was edited so that Ivy appeared to only kiss Harley on the cheek). Whether any major milestones will happen in the upcoming anniversary issue remains to be seen, but there will be 96 pages of story for readers to dive into. Prior to the issue releasing, Harley will also have numerous other homage variants for readers to pick up.
starting with harley quinn #18, the title will homage some of Batman’s most iconic covers, with inspiration drawn from the first ever issue of Batman from 1940, the first appearance of Batgirl (Detective Comics #359), artist Jim Lee’s work on batman hush, Batman: The Killing Joke #1 and other recognizable works. This will continue across harley quinn #22, which features a variant homaging writer-artist Frank Miller’s work on Batman: The Dark Knight Returns and will kill off Harley in a murder mystery.
Written by Conner, Palmiotti, Dini, Phillips and many others, with artwork by various artists, harley quinn 30th Anniversary Special #1 is set to go on sale Sept. 13 from DC Comics.
Source: DC Comics