The University of Stavanger invites applicants for up to two PhD Fellowships in Economics at the UiS Business School, Department of Economics. The position is vacant from 1.9.2022.
These are trainee positions that will give promising researchers an opportunity for academic development through a PhD education leading to a doctoral degree.
The hired candidate will be admitted to the PhD program in economics. The education includes relevant courses to about six months of study, a dissertation based on independent research, participation in national and international research environments, relevant academic communication, a trial lecture and public defence. Read more about the PhD education at UiS on our website.
The appointment is for three years with research duties exclusively, or four years with both research and 25% compulsory duties. This will be clarified in the recruitment process.
The position is associated with large field experiments funded by the Research Council of Norway. These will provide access to experimental data from surveys and national registries.
The position is part of SynapseLab, a research group committed to develop and investigate interventions that can give people better opportunities to succeed in education and the workplace. Specifically, the group investigates measures that help increase effort, motivation and coping in education and work, using large-scale field experiments. It involves the Faculty of Social Science, UiS Business School, Faculty of Arts and Education, and Faculty of Health Sciences. The position is organizationally affiliated with the University of Stavanger Business School.
We are looking for applicants with a strong academic background who have completed a five-year master degree (3+2) within economics, preferably acquired recently; or possess corresponding qualifications that could provide a basis for successfully completing a doctorate.
To be eligible for admission to the doctoral programs at the University of Stavanger both the grade for your master’s thesis and the weighted average grade of your master’s degree must individually be equivalent to or better than a B grade. If you finish your education (masters degree) in the spring of 2022 you are also welcome to apply.
Applicants with an education from an institution with a different grade scale than AF, and/or with other types of credits than sp/ECTS, must attach a confirmed conversion scale that shows how the grades can be compared with the Norwegian AF scale and a Diploma Supplement or similar that explains the scope of the subject that are included in the education. You can use these conversion scales to calculate your points for admission.
Emphasis is also placed on your:
- motivation and potential for research within the field
- professional and personal skills for completing the doctoral degree within the timeframe
- ability to work independently and in a team, be innovative and creative
- ability to work structured and handle a heavy workload
- having a good command of both oral and written English
Requirements for competence in English
A good proficiency in English is required for anyone attending the PhD program. International applicants must document this by taking one of the following tests with the following results:
- TOEFL Test of English as a Foreign Language, Internet-Based Test (IBT). Minimum result: 90
- IELTS International English Language Testing Service. Minimum result: 6.5
- Certificate in Advanced English (CAE) or Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE) from the University of Cambridge
- PTE Academic Pearson Test of English Academic. Minimum result: 62
The following applicants are exempt from the above requirements:
- Applicants with one year of completed university studies in Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, United Kingdom, USA
- Applicants with an International Baccalaureate (IB) diploma
- Applicants with a completed bachelor’s and / or master’s degrees taught in English in a EU/EEA country
- a PhD education in a large, exciting and socially important organization
- an ambitious work community which is developing rapidly. We strive to include employees at all levels in strategic decisions and promote an informal atmosphere with a flat organizational structure.
- colleague-based guidance program (NyTi) if teaching is a part of your position
- salary in accordance with the State Salary Scale, l.pl 17.515, code 1017, NOK 501 200 gross per year with salary development according to seniority in the position. From the salary, 2% is deducted as a contribution to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund. A higher salary may be considered in special cases.
- automatic membership in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund, which provides favorable insurance- and retirement benefits
- favorable membership terms at a gym and at the SIS sports club at campus
- employment with an Inclusive Workplace organization which is committed to reducing sick leave, increasing the proportion of employees with reduced working capacity, and increasing the number of professionally active seniors
- “Hjem-jobb-hjem” discounted public transport to and from work
- as an employee in Norway, you will have access to an optimal health service, as well as good pensions, generous maternity/paternity leave, and a competitive salary. Nursery places are guaranteed and reasonably priced
- relocation program
- language courses: On this page you can see which language courses you may be entitled to (look up language courses under employment conditions)
University of Stavanger values independence, involvement and innovation. Diversity is respected and considered a resource in our work and learning environment. Universal design characterizes physical and digital learning environments, and we strive to provide reasonable adjustments for employees with disabilities.
You are encouraged to apply regardless of gender, disability or cultural background.
The university aims to recruit more women within the subject area. If several applicants are considered to have equal qualifications, female applicants will be given priority.
More information on the position can be obtained from Professor Mari Rege, tel: +47 51 83 37 21, e-mail: [email protected] or Head of department Venke Furre Haaland, tel: + 47 51 83 37 52, e-mail: [email protected]
Information about the appointment procedure can be obtained from HR-advisor Kaja Lillelien, tel: +47 51 83 13 10, e-mail: [email protected]
To apply for this position please follow the link “Apply for this job”. Your application letter, relevant education and work experience as well as language skills must be registered here. In your application letter, you must state your research interests and motivation for the position.
The following documents must be uploaded as attachments to your application:
- CV with a full summary of your education and experience
- references, certificates/diplomas and other documentation that you consider relevant
- Diploma Supplement or similar and a confirmed conversion scale if this is required
- documentation on competence in English if this is required
- publications or other relevant research work
Applications are evaluated based on the information available in Jobbnorge at the application deadline. You should ensure that your application shows clearly how your skills and experience meet the criteria which are set out above and that you have attached the necessary documentation.
The documentation must be available in either a Scandinavian language or in English. If the total size of the attachments exceeds 30 MB, they must be compressed before upload.
Please note that information on applicants may be published even if the applicant has requested not to be included in the official list of applicants – see Section 25 of the Freedom of Information Act. If your request is not granted, you will be notified.
UiS only considers applications and attachments registered in Jobbnorge.
The engagement is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants, and the acts relating to Control of the Export of Strategic Goods, Services and Technology. If your application is considered to be in conflict with the criteria in the latter legislation, it will be rejected without further assessment.
Employment as PhD Fellow is regulated in “Regulations concerning terms and conditions of employment for the posts of post-doctoral research fellow and research fellow, research assistant and resident”.
Your qualifications for the position, based on documentation registered in Jobbnorge, will be assessed by an internal expert committee. Based on the committee’s statement, relevant applicants will be invited to an interview before any recommendations are made. References will also be obtained for relevant candidates. More about the hiring process on our website.
The appointee will be based at the University of Stavanger, with the exception of a stay abroad at a relevant center of research.
It is a prerequisite that you have a residence which enables you to be present at/available to the academic community during ordinary working hours.
The position has been announced in both Norwegian and English. In the case of differences of meaning between the texts, the Norwegian text takes precedence.
UiS – challenge the well-known and explore the unknown
The University of Stavanger (UiS) has about 12,000 students and 2,200 employees. The university has high ambitions. We strive to have an innovative and international profile, and be a driving force in knowledge development and in the process of societal change. Our common direction is driven by consideration for green and sustainable change and equitable social development, through new ways of managing natural resources and facilitating better cities and local communities. Energy, health and welfare, learning for life are our focus areas.
In constant collaboration and dialogue with our surroundings, regionally, nationally and internationally, we enjoy an open and creative climate for education, research, innovation, dissemination and museum activities. Academic life at the University of Stavanger is organized into six faculties comprising various departments/schools and National Research Centres, as well as the Museum of Archaeology. We are a member of the European Consortium of Innovative Universities. The university is located in the most attractive region in the country with more than 300,000 inhabitants. The Stavanger region has a dynamic labor market and exciting cultural and leisure activities.
Together with our staff and students we will challenge the well-known and explore the unknown.
The University of Stavanger Business School carries out research and offers study programs across all areas of business. The study options include bachelor programs in Business Administration, Accounting & Auditing, and Law. The school also offers master programs in Business Administration, Accounting & Auditing, and Executive MBA, as well as research education (PhD). The Center of Innovation Research and the Center for Entrepreneurship are both part of the business school. There are currently 90 employees and 1,400 students at the school. The UiS Business School is organized in three departments; Department of Innovation, Leadership and Marketing, Department of Accounting and Law and Department of Economics and Finance.