Hello, neighbors. Diane Witek here with your fresh copy of the Riverhead Dailyfilled with all the things you need to know about what’s happening locally.
First, today’s weather:
Heavy rain and a thunderstorm. High: 75, low: 58.
Here are the top stories in Riverhead today:
- The New York State Council for the Arts’ awarded the Long Island Science Center with a $496,000 grant from its capital projects fund for a lecture hall and a rooftop planetarium. The new Science Center, located at 111 East Main St. in downtown Riverhead, will make the 100-seat, multimedia planetarium facility the focal point of the center, representatives said. (patches)
- the Evelyn Alexander Wildlife Rescue Center in Hampton Bays has been trying to stop hunters from culling deer on that parcel of land for nearly 20 years. The killing of a deer three feet from the center in January sparked new legislation after safety concerns were raised. Lawmakers passed a bill that will ban hunting on that parcel in the future, now it is up to the governor to sign the bill. (patches)
- Have you ever wanted to tour the breweries and vineyards of Long Island’s North Fork? Well now you can, if you own a bicycle. East End Bike Tours is holding a 14–18-mile round-trip cycling event on June 9 at 10:15 am starting at 13200 Main Road, Mattituck. This is a learning and riding event; you can drink unlimited nonalcoholic refreshments throughout your tour experience. Tickets are $89 when you mention code NorthFork89. (Northfork)
- Just in time for Pride Month, the movie ‘Fire Island’ on Netflix depicts the fun, gay happenings in the Pines on Fire Island. It is a sweet, light-hearted flick with stunning male bodies and adult situations. Grab an adult drink with a little umbrella in it and enjoy the show. (NBC New York)
- The Riverhead’s Tri-Club Meeting and State of the Town addresssponsored by the Riverhead Lions, Kiwanis and Rotary Club, is rescheduled for Wednesday, June 29 from 6 to 8:30 pm at the Sea Star Ballroom at the Long Island Aquarium. The evening includes dinner, at a cost of $35. Registration is online here. (East End Beacon)
Today in Riverhead:
- Phillips, Roanoke Kindergarten Screenings. (All Day)
- Photography Workshop Series — Just Add Water with Eileen Novack. (5 pm)
From my notebook:
- Riverhead Books: “🥰Who else loves this jacket art? Coming later this month, a gorgeous new novel about pregnancy, motherhood, and the nature of female relationships that is getting stellar early reviews.” (Riverhead Books via Instagram) (Website)
- Spirit’s Promise Equine Rescue Program: “We need your help to have a chance at this amazing opportunity for our safe haven for those gentle souls in need. Vote for us! ♥️🐎🐴 Help us. Help horses. Help people.” (Spirit’s Promise Equine Rescue Program via Facebook) (Website)
- Suffolk County Sheriff’s Office: “The Correction Officer Recruits are busy at the Sheriff’s Academy taking their agility tests for PT Training. Recruits spend a portion of each day with vigorous physical training.” (Suffolk County Sheriff’s Office via Facebook) (Website)
- Suffolk County Sheriff’s Office: “The Suffolk County Sheriff’s Office Sheriff’s Deputies recently made the attached warrant arrests. #SCSO, #SuffolkSheriff.” (Suffolk County Sheriff’s Office via Facebook) (Website)
- Suffolk County Historical Society: “Music at the museum! ‘Sound, Shore, Bay, & Ocean: Historic Maritime Songs of Suffolk County’ performed by Stephen Sanfilippo! Saturday, June 11, 1 pm Regular Museum admission. Free to members.” (Suffolk County Historical Society via Facebook) (Website)
- Maureen’s Haven Homeless Outreach Program: “Tickets on sale now. Celebrate our 20th anniversary at the Stephen Talkhouse on June 23. Enjoy an evening of great music and dancing while supporting Maureen’s Haven Homeless Outreach.” (Maureen’s Haven Homeless Outreach Program via Facebook) (Website)
More from our sponsors — thanks for supporting local news!
- Get Fit Workout with Celebrity Trainer Don Saladino! (June 9)
- Southampton March For Our Lives (June 11)
- Wedding Showcase at East Wind (June 15)
- Hire A Pro To Clean Up The Yard For Dad (June 19)
- Antique & Classic Auto Exhibition (June 25)
- Add your event
Gigs & services:
Now you’re in the loop and ready to start this Thursday. I’ll be in your inbox tomorrow morning with a new update!
— Diane Wittek
About me: Impassioned Writer, Website Designer, Social Media Marketer and newly proclaimed Baker. Lover of nature and animals of all kinds.